The Backyard's Weekly Bird Walk locations are found in the Backyard Bird Report at the very end of the most recent report. Any cancellations will be posted by 8am the day of the walk.

Sunday 1 May 2011

"Rare bird alert"


Lesser Goldfinch: Cathy Carlson Photo.

"Rare bird alert-Lesser Goldfinch"

The birdstore has received this e-mail...
Last evening I saw a finch in my niger seed feeder.......from a distance I thought it was an American Goldfinch. I could see with my binoculars that it was a male Lesser Goldfinch!! I have seen one in California but never this far north. He is at my feeder again this am. He is beautiful with his black cap and olivy-green back. I have taken a few pics and hope to get a better pic when the light improves. This is at Shirley just up from Sooke. For more information call the birdstore at 250 390-3669

Good birding
Neil Robins
Nanaimo,
British Columbia.

No comments: