The Backyard's Weekly Bird Walk locations are found in the Backyard Bird Report at the very end of the most recent report. Any cancellations will be posted by 8am the day of the walk.

Monday 27 May 2013

Magnificent Frigatebird sighting in Parksville

Saturday morning I noticed a large bird (very wide humped wings, long scissor tail) soaring above our property in Nanoose Bay.  Later that morning when my husband and I were driving into Parksville, I again saw the same bird soaring over the town along the main drag.  I pointed him out to my husband and mentioned that I had forgotten about the one earlier in the morning.  We looked him up (I am assuming it is the same bird as Nanoose is fifteen minutes into Parkville. 

 

We have determined it to be a Magnificent Frigatebird.  It was soaring very high but very distinctive wing span and long tail. 

No comments: